Accelerated Master's Admissions

Highly qualified Mason Engineering undergraduates may pursue a master’s degree through an accelerated program, and begin taking graduate courses in their senior year.

If you are academically strong, currently enrolled in an undergraduate program in the Volgenau School of Engineering, and have an interest in research or graduate and professional studies, you may be approved to take six graduate credits that will apply to both the current undergraduate degree and future graduate degree program requirements through our Accelerated Master’s Program.

How to Apply

Make an appointment with your undergraduate academic advisor to verify your eligibility for the program before submitting an application.

  • You may apply to the program once you have earned between 75-100 credit hours in your relevant undergraduate program.

  • You must apply at least one full semester prior to the semester in which you intend to graduate. This ensures that you will have at least two semesters to take the necessary courses for transitioning.

  • Additional criteria for admission to your specific desired program can be found on the University Catalog page.


  1. Meet with your undergraduate academic advisor. Bring an unofficial copy of your transcript (printed from Patriot Web). At this meeting, you will:

    Receive guidance on which courses will best suit your desired program and interests and which master's level coursework may apply to your bachelor's degree.

  1. Complete the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Online Application.

Meet with your advisor before applying. If you do not meet the requirements to apply, your application will be automatically cancelled.

Please wait at least 4 - 6 weeks before asking about the status of your application and remember you can check your status in your Application Portal. After the processing period, questions about your application may be directed to Volgenau Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services.

Decisions will not be given over the phone, by the department or by the Graduate Admissions office.


  • December 1, if you would like to begin taking graduate courses in the following Spring term

  • August 1, if you would like to begin taking graduate courses in the following Fall term

Notification and Registration

If your Accelerated Master's application is approved, your decision will be available to you on your Application Portal. Be sure to check your e-mail regularly to ensure you receive a timely decision.

Approved students will then be able to register for graduate courses via Mason's Patriot Web system. Participants who were previously listed under Junior or Senior status in Patriot Web, will now be listed as ‘Senior Plus' after they have reached 90 credits.

Please note that approval of specific courses on the application does not guarantee that a specific course section will be open or offered at the time of registration.

Approval for the Accelerated Master's program only guarantees admission to a degree program at a later date if the student maintains the required GPA outlined in the University Catalog, and follows all of the policy requirements below.

Academic Policies

Students admitted to this program are required to complete a minimum of three graduate credits for advanced standing while in the program, otherwise they will not be able to transition and will be required to apply as a non-Accelerated Master's student.

The courses taken must be the ones approved on your application or listed in the appropriate University Catalog section related to Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Programs.

You must show satisfactory performance in the approved graduate courses taken while in undergraduate status.

You must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.25, or as otherwise indicated by the University Catalog section related to your program.

Transitioning to your Master's Program

When you apply to graduate from your Bachelor's Degree, you must also complete and submit the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Transition Form. On this form, you will identify your advanced standing and reserve graduate credit hours, and receive approval from your undergraduate and graduate advisors.

Once the form is complete and approved, please follow your department's procedures for delivering the form to the Office of Graduate Studies, located in Nguyen Engineering Building, Suite 2400. After your form is reviewed and signed by the Associate Dean, it will be forwarded to the Office of Graduate Admissions for final signature.

If you are admitted as a regular graduate student, after submission of your BS-MS Transition form, you will be given advanced standing - meaning that your graduate credits have been earned and will later be applied.

Courses taken within the Accelerated Master's program will appear on a separate portion of your transcript, under "Advanced Standing."

After transition, regardless of advanced standing, you will be treated as any other graduate student. You will be assessed graduate tuition and will be subject to all graduate academic policies as detailed in the University Catalog.

Questions? Contact Us

Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services


Phone: 703-993-1512

Office location: 2400 Nguyen Engineering Bldg